Monday, February 28, 2011

Some of my favorite things

As a new month approaches I realize how the year is slipping away.  I am going to try to notice things I'll miss so I will truly appreciate them.  I am hoping this is the first in a series.

I will miss cake yeast, or maybe I'll miss the idea of cake yeast.  It has a much shorter shelf life than dry yeast, but it is sold from big trays.  I like to think this means a lot of people buy it, which must mean a lot of people are baking.  I will miss the image of people at home making bøller (rolls) to serve with butter and jam.

I will miss oatmeal.  There aren't boxes with little envelopes, but shelf after shelf of bags of oatmeal, both large and small flakes, organic and traditional.  Buying it in bulk in Ithaca is best, but I'll miss having oatmeal as the dominant cereal in the aisle.

More favorites soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment