Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Names

Just as our names seem different to people here, most of the names of the parents and kids I meet are unfamiliar, or maybe I had seem them only in books.  The only Biblical names I have seen are Jakob and Sarah.


These are a few of the kids' names
Ida, Ester, Kamilla, Mie, Anne Sofie, Frederikke, Mathilde, Ulrikke, Emma
Anton, Sofus, Magnus, Marius, Lukas, Niklas, Gustav, Mads, Asger, Kasper, Frederik, Christian

Here are a few of the parents' names
Lars, Jens, Jesper, Mikkel
Mette, Ann-Dorthe, Kirsten, Birgitte, Anette



All forms require full middle names, which seemed odd to me until I realized that so many people have the same name.  Although the number is declining, many people still have last names ending in -sen and many people have traditional Danish names, often named after royalty.



No comments:

Post a Comment