Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yet more about the library

The library had e-readers to try.  Notice the free coffee in the background.
Yesterday I was looking for a magazine and noticed a pop-up tent and sign about e-books.  I headed over there and found one person from the Apple store and a library employee, both demonstrating different e-readers.  I was amazed to learn you can borrow three types from the library the way you would borrow a book, meaning no deposit or credit card was needed.  How un-American.
locked magazines
On the other hand, in the children's room the current magazines are locked into special holders.

Also in the children's room are two cd players on a high shelf.  The parents can load it and the children can sit at a table with many listening sticks? vertical earphones? and enjoy the book or music.
a nicely set table promoting cookbooks
Recently a popular cooking show was coming to town so the library promoted its cookbooks.

Downstairs is an enormous music library and the local history collection, which often have displays.  This weekend I hope we'll make a tupilak (carved creatrue) as part of month-long cultural event focusing on Greenland this year.  What's not to love?

3 comments:

  1. I really had to chuckle at the locked magazines, and not the e-readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's like "Green History Month". Speaking of green, we are finally seeing some in Ithaca. I have some crocuses that have the tops bitten off of them. I'm not sure whether to blame rabbits, groundhogs or deer.

    p.s. I really love your "doings". what are you doing for Passover? Do they have matzoh in the grocery store? I wish I could send you some really good grape juice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franny is right, I found not one but 2 brands of kosher for Passover, organic grape juice at Greenstar!

    You can now download audio books from Ithaca library's website.

    -Nancy-

    ReplyDelete