Sunday, January 9, 2011

Israel, Day 6, 27 December

3:30 a.m.?  The bus was scheduled to leave at 4:50 a.m. and I thought if I woke up at 4:30 a.m. that would have been sufficient.  Obviously the person who scheduled the wake-up calls did not agree.  One plus of leaving so early was that there was little traffic on the road out of Jerusalem to Masada and it was beautiful to drive along the Dead Sea during dawn.  It was a little strange not to see sea birds or other signs of life.
our group walking from the cable car to the Western Palace
 We were scheduled to take the first cable car of the morning and from there we headed to the Western Palace (click for a map) for the B'nai Mitzvah ceremony.  Nothing will take the place of the first ceremony last summer, but it was meaningful to be outside and at Masada, a symbol of Jewish resistance, and to hear our daughter chant Torah where it has been chanted for a couple thousand years.  A. was given a reading, but his highlight may have been the chance to shower his sister with sweets (throw candy!).

Because we had arrived so early we had plenty of time to look at models from different eras, hear stories, and learn about how water was brought to the people.  I wouldn't call it uplifting, but I am glad we had time to visit.

Swimming in the Dead Sea was something I have wanted to do for as long as can remember seeing pictures of people floating it in.  On the one hand it was the highlight of the day because it was a totally new experience.  I especially liked going where it was deep enough to stand, only to find out that it wasn't possible because my feet were being pushed to the surface.  On the other hand it was an enormous disappointment because you can't swim in it.  You walk out very carefully so you don't splash, you can't put your face in it, and it is strongly recommended that you get out after fifteen minutes.  I had imagined myself swimming at world record pace because of the buoyancy, but I was content to float.  Using tarps the beach we visited was divided into three sections, one for men, one for women, and one for a mix.  I was glad to know even the Orthodox can enjoy floating in the Dead Sea.

But wait, there is more!  We took a short ride to a permanent Bedouin village set up for tourists to learn about the traditions of the Bedouin people.  Before we entered we had an exciting and, thankfully, short camel ride.  They told us the noise that was like a growl was nothing to worry about and I think camels are vegetarians.  I was happy to move on to the tents where we learned about tea, coffee, hospitality, and the reality of the current situation in Israel.

The day ended with a meal like no other.  The Eucalyptus is known for preparing foods mentioned in the Bible and locally grown plants.  I am sorry I don't have a picture of the meal, but imagine fresh pita and hummus, small servings of many salads, chicken stuffed figs, stuffed cabbage and grape leaves, eggplant with tahini something and pomegranate seeds.  Later we could choose from lentil, pumpkin, or Jerusalem artichoke soup.  And I haven't even mentioned the main course!  I am proud that my kids tried lots of foods, even if they didn't like everything.

Today was our longest day, but I wouldn't have changed any part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment