Friday, June 3, 2011

Hungary - guest post



Recently our family went to Hungary, along with my aunt, her partner, and my grandmother and Hungarian grandfather Apa. The trip was lead mainly by my grandfather, who still has an excellent grasp of Hungarian. We visited many historical sights, which I will describe later. We also visited some of my grandfather's old friends at a café. 


Hungary has many fine foods, including lángos, fried dough with either sweet or savory toppings, palacsinta, which are essentially crepes, pogácsa, delicious cheese biscuits, kifli and zsemle, bread rolls in crescent and round shapes, and quality smoked cheeses, which I cannot find the name of. A dish I have enjoyed at restaurants is fried cheese on rice, which is what it sounds like, a giant breaded chunk of cheese on rice. 


We tried many types of public transit, including the autobus (bus is a swear word in Hungarian), the tram, the metro, and a cog-wheel train, and and even an open-air scenic train staffed mostly by children. 


Among the historical sights we visited were the synagogue Apa attended as a child and the
Holocaust memorial in the back, the site of the old wall, and more. 


Hungary was an enjoyable vacation, although it was not what I would have chosen, since I am the sort who believes you should have an expensive vacation or have fun at home. I would recommend Hungary to the adventurous with a good grasp of Hungarian, or to those traveling with a speaker of the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment