Thursday, June 23, 2011

Woodshop: The Horse - guest post





I have finally completed the wooden horse that I have been working on for weeks in my once-a-week-for-1.5-hours woodworking class. The problem that I had been facing was fixing the foot bottoms to get them properly level. Now, it is finally finished. The silhouette was cut using a coping saw. I did not level the feet, the teacher did that with a machine sander. I am very happy with the results. I dyed it with liquid watercolor paint to a mahogany-like shade of red. The horse is sturdy: it has no moving parts, glued or nailed down pieces, and is not hollow. It is also at a reasonable scale for shoving in a suitcase and taking to another continent. It is not a trojan horse: It was not built in Troy, it is not hollow, it does not contain something dangerous like an army or a computer virus. All of these features combine to produce an object that is good to own.

1 comment: