Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cycling

Cycling in Denmark could be a topic for a whole blog instead of one post.  It could include a discussion about helmets, parking, regional bike routes, national bike routes, parents and kids on one bike, innumerable cycling shortcuts and paths, and on and on.

Close to our house is a traffic circle that I thought would be wise to avoid, but instead it is my favorite intersection.
The drivers really, truly give the cyclist the right of way before entering and exiting the circle.  The one down side is that they slow down without completely stopping, which could be a little uncomfortable, but I have seen it work every single time.

Another wonderful bike lane idea is a little left-turn lane.
If you are cycling on this narrow street and you want to turn left from the bike lane, instead of pulling into traffic you pull over to the right, press the button, and when the light turns green you cycle across the street.

At home I used to wave to fellow cyclists because I felt like I was a member of a special club.  Here I am one of the masses, which is a good feeling, too.  Maybe before I return I'll master getting on and off my bike while it is still moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment