Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Skole tirsdag den 10. august 2010 by Robin

School started on man 9. aug, and it went really well! I am learning
more dansk each day, but my classmates and teachers speak plenty of
engelsk [English]. I met two nice girls [pigene], one of whom is my
neighbor. Whoops, make that neighbour. Here, they use British English,
not American English. One of the girls I met, I met partially because
she had the triangle-circle-line symbol that represents the
Invisibility Cloak, the Stone of Resurrection, and the Elder Wand. We
started talking about Harry Potter, and, as it turns out, she read the
books in Danish and English. That was amazing. I gave her some book
recommendations, and she gave me some. Today, school got out early
because our teacher had a meeting. They didn't even notify our
families that we would be home early, or that school would start at
8.45 on Tuesdays until the 24th, when Kost og Motion [Nutrition and
Exercise, literally Food and Motion] will start. That was confusing.
Our Nature and Technology [Natur og Teknik] (science) teacher was
willing to tell me the main rule, "No running in the science lab!",
which was nice to know. Also nice was that words like pH, atlas, and
many element names, are very similar in English and dansk. All in all,
school is great!

3 comments:

  1. Robin - I'm delighted to hear that school is going so well! We just had a surprise visit in Philly from the Benjamins who told us that Ruby & co. are also back in Denmark this year. Do you see them much? Are they nearby?

    I'm curious how 7th grade math in Denmark compares to 7th (or 6th( grade math in Claremont???

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds so wonderful Robin, I'm so happy and excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, the math here seems to be review.

    ReplyDelete