Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cykel -- fredag-lørdag-søndag den 30-31-1. juli-august 2010, posted by Robin

In the previous post, I told you about how I don't have my own bike here yet. That information is no longer correct. After playing at various campus playgrounds and stopping in at the younger children's daycare center, we went home, and took some glass to an appropriate bin. Then, Dad and I rode to a bike shop on the tandem. Although Dad spoke no Danish and the shop owner spoke very little English, with enough gesturing they were able to talk and buy a bike for me. My bike is very Danish -- it has a special lock that is built into the bike. On Saturday, I went to the library. They have an excellent selection of English books there. I really enjoyed reading new books and wished that I had my SuperID number so that I could check one out. Today we went for a long bike ride on the quad to nowhere on a road by all these fields that were not very entertaining. My parents said that I should enjoy the bike ride just because it was a bike ride, not because I would get something out of it. They really just don't get how bike rides aren't inherently fun for me. Later we visited some people from the States who had lived in Denmark for 10 years. That was more fun, because they had a trampoline and were happy to have long conversations in English. Trampolines are fun. Here, the playgrounds are more fun, and are not built to avoid lawsuits. They are also a little less safe, though. I will post again soon!

7 comments:

  1. The trampoline sounds fun. How did the people end up in Denmark for 10 years? I find it interesting to hear stories of people from the US living outside of the US. It can be such a big change to make.

    I like seeing the Danish! helps me remember my Swedish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, post a picture of your new bike. I'm interested in how things that we have in both countries are different. Also, what is the time difference from NY and Denmark? How long until you get your Super ID number? Do most people speak English?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what does the title of this blog mean? I understood the date part but that was about it. Why is it all hyphenated? Is it all one word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, this is a good year for you to read old classics that you can access for free on Google Books. Maybe you will read my favorite from when I was your age, The Three Musketeers.

    We are going to see Eoin Colfer, the author of Artemis Fowl, next week in Pasadena. I can't remember if you ever got around to reading that series...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pesky parents!!

    Robin - I'm curious if Danish libraries carry any books by Enid Blyton (in English or Danish)? Claire and Julia still love the Malory Towers and St. Claire's books, especially as they were so influential to JK Rowling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title of this post means: Bicycle - Friday-Saturday-Sunday, 30-31-1, July-August 2010. I hyphenated it because it was a multi-day post.

    -Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have read the Artemis Fowl series, up to and including The Time Paradox.

    ReplyDelete