Thursday, August 12, 2010

Weather

For months before we arrived I watched the weather in Roskilde to get an idea about what we were in for.  An online view just isn't reality, so even though we own rain boots, rain pants, and rain coats, I think we are in for a challenge.  How can I be motivated to leave the cozy house when it is pouring rain if I don't have to?

Today I cycled with Robin to visit an afterschool club.  The kids can take care of horses and rabbits, work on go-karts, do art projects, participate in theater productions, play on the computer, or work in the kitchen.  After the tour of the facility it started to pour so we decided to hang out until it passed, which was optimistic.  It is now long after dinner and it is still raining!  I know it rains in LA, but I had forgotten about the logistics of dealing with it.

Maybe the point of the post is less about weather and more about transportation.  Dealing with the logistics of rain are more significant without a car.  I consider myself a bicycle commuter, but I have realized how often I would use a car if I had one.  The wonderful thing is that not one family member complained about the weather or being wet!

5 comments:

  1. Are there buses available? It seems they'd have municipal buses in a town that size...

    ReplyDelete
  2. rain is hard. maybe they have better rain gear for sale there since they deal w a lot of rain. It would be hard for me to want to leave the house. that afterschool club sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The buses exist, but take planning. When I was ready to leave for the pool it started raining, which made it too late to catch a bus to town and then switch to another line. Yesterday we were on our bicycles when it started to rain. We had taken all the short cuts (path under the tracks, trail behind the school) and the bus ride would have been a little complex. We've been here only two weeks so I'm optimistic that with a little more time we'll figure things out.

    I forgot to mention the afterschool club also has a climbing wall, a pottery room including kiln, and a blacksmith area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that no one complained about the weather. Would not have been the case with Tara - she thought I was responsible for all (tongue in cheek). Are the paths and shortcuts paved or do you have to navigate ruts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. a kiln?! blacksmith area - wow - sign me up.

    ReplyDelete